14 Sep Rick’s Monthly Wheeler Update: August 2018 Summary
Throughout the month of August…
- Wheeler served 1,828 different men, women, and children.
- 6 men and 13 women attained stable housing.
- 14 men and 5 women attained a stable income.
All this is because YOU care!
Income and housing are necessary milestones on an individual’s journey to stability and self-sufficiency. But they are just a small piece of the story! To read more about our holistic programming for men and women, go here.
A life transformed: Steve
Steve was kicked out of school and left home at just 16 years old, turning to drugs to both sell and use. His drug use escalated in his late twenties and for 7 years, he was in the throes of addiction.
After serving a prison sentence for dealing, Steve joined Hebron, Wheeler’s addiction recovery program for men. He recalls, “I was just wanting to get clean.” But he got so much more than that.
Hebron helped Steve face his destructive behavior and gave him tools to live free of substances. The counseling, classes, Bible study, and productive camp environment helped Steve change his life.
Steve admits, “I am far from the guy I was when I walked in here!” He has restored relationships with his three children and extended family, and he’s actively engaged in his local church. And today, Steve is a valued Wheeler staff member, working as a kitchen manager at our Shelter for Men. For Wheeler’s guests, Steve gives a unique perspective and accountability that encourages them toward lasting success. “It’s a joy to do that day in and day out,” he says.
To read more stories just like Steve’s, go here.
Want to help Wheeler right now?
- Happy birthday, Wheeler! Wheeler turns 125 in October, but with much to celebrate, there’s a lot to do. Women and children are the fastest growing segment of the homeless population, so we’re expanding to better meet that need. As we celebrate our 125th birthday, we’ve set a goal to raise $1.25 million in 125 days. Our #BuildingForChange campaign helps us expand our Center for Women & Children in Indianapolis. Ready to join the movement? Give today.
- Volunteer for our 125th! We’re having a few events to commemorate this milestone, and need volunteers to make it happen. If you’re interested in serving at one of our special events, check out the various opportunities!
- Follow us on social media and share our posts! We regularly post Wheeler needs and updates on social media, keeping our followers closely in the loop. Join our social community on Facebook, X, and Instagram.
Thanks for faithfully standing with Wheeler Mission – we couldn’t do this without you!