Wheeler’s History

The Mission is founded under the name Door of Hope. It’s led by a hardware salesman, William V. Wheeler, who volunteers his time.

1893
|

William Wheeler dies, and organization is renamed in his honor.

1908
|

Present building built at 245 North Delaware Street.

1929
|

Wheeler’s own camp (later named Camp Hunt) opens.

1959
|


Wheeler establishes a Day Room: the first place in the city where the homeless were welcome during the day.

1988
|

Wheeler transforms the Dearborn Hotel on Michigan Street into a Youth and Family Center, named that John D. Hughes Community Center.

1991-1994
|

Wheeler’s landmark shelter for men re-opens after a complete renovation and an expansion.

1998
|

Wheeler Mission Ministries and The Care Center merge.

2001
|

 

Wheeler purchases adjacent building. The new annex will provide additional space for men on Wheeler’s program.

2002
|

In January, Wheeler provides more lodgings than ever before, breaking records set in the Great Depression.

2003
|

In September, Wheeler merges with Lighthouse Mission to enhance the programs offered for homeless men.

2006
|

In January, the Care Center moves to a new building and is renamed to the Center for Women and Children.

2009
|


8,815
Total lodging provided
20,482
Total meals served
94
Medical/Dental Appointments
Close

Sign up for our email newsletter!

* indicates required

Switch to our mobile site